Saturday, February 28
Wednesday, February 25
Tuesday, February 24
Monday, February 23
Wednesday, February 18
Also I took 3rd in my age group and since I didn't stick around for the awards I contacted the race director to see if I can get my award mailed to me. Hopefully that will be no problem.
Looking ahead to the rest of 2009. I have Knoxville coming up in a little over a month and Alaska in June. Those are the only 2 scheduled officially but I have the rest of my calender pretty much nailed down however there are a few factors that will influence what I will be able to accomplish. I have added a new category on my racing map called "Tentative". These are races that I have done everything besides actually registering. Here's a look at these dates and what must occur for me to get in on those races:
This one is in May and odds are about 75% that I'll do this one. I'm just trying to lock down travel arrangements and hotel stay to limit my expenses. Birmingham has taught me that not every town is a great place to hang out for the weekend and as much as I love the Green Bay Packers I hesitate to spend anymore extra time there in the event that it sucks.
I am about 50% here. The reasons to run it is simple, it's famous and big. However at 125 bucks a head it's expensive. Plus with Gayle thinking about Law school at the moment she may be too busy to come with and one thing I learned so far is that the support you get before, during and after the marathon is priceless. Though with registration filling up fast this one I'll probably have to decide on very soon.
This one is a crap shoot. It's a lottery meaning when you sign up you are not guaranteed to run. So if you don't get picked you have to wait until next year. I am definitely putting my name in as there is a condition if you don't get picked in so many consecutive years (I think 3) you automatically are entered in the following year.
I have a few races I've looked at for backup in case I do not get in on these so things look pretty good for me completing 6 this year. Who knows I might sneak one in September as well but no promises there. Also have Minnesota in 2010 that I am going to sign up for as well. This one is a lottery as well and later I'll detail out exactly why that is and why I am excited to run a marathon in January in Minnesota.
As always, my map and results:
March 29th, 2009 - Knoxville, TN
June 20th, 2009 - Anchorage, AK
May 17th, 2009 - Green Bay, WI
October 11th, 2009 - Chicago, IL
November 1st, 2009 - New York, NY
February 15th, 2009 (3:29:16) - Birmingham, AL
September 20th, 2008 (3:39:05) - Park City, UT
June 14th, 2008 (3:50:22) - Williamson, WV
February 17th, 2008 (3:54:54) - Jacksonville, FL
November 3rd, 2007 (3:55:40) - Richmond, VA
Sunday, February 15
Wednesday, February 11
- Ate 34 White Castles at one sitting and subsequently did not date for three years.
- Loved the Marathon Bar (with the ruler on the back) and still have a ½ eaten one under my bed
- Killed a man in a fight, but we made up afterwards
- I’ve eaten bear, rabbit, turtle and something that might have been tofu.
- I have never failed a lie detector test.
- I was kicked out of the Secret Service for having sex with a chicken.
- Three time Mid-Ohio AA Checkers Champion (freestyle)
- Like oatmeal, hate porridge, no comment on grits
- Lost my virginity for the thirteenth time at the new B-Hamptons on the stamped metal dance floor
- Made my bed once back in 1994 and haven’t looked back.
- Brew my own Schlitz Malt Liquor
- I can beat you at 80’dance and 90’s glam
- Favorite board game - Sorry; favorite thing to say after sex – Sorry
- Need the Gandalf, Lord of the Rings, Burger King Glass Goblet to complete the set
- Own two reversible bras
- I’m afraid of drive-thrus
- I count my printer paper to ensure all 500 sheets are there. Once I found an extra sheet and sent it back to the company.
- Can’t figure out how to load music on my iPod, so I walk around pretending like I listen to music
- Recently learned that the cardboard tube is NOT the last sheet of toilet paper.
- I drive like I own a standard, but only have an automatic. The guys at car repair shop know my credit card number by heart.
- I have had an erection for the past 18 years.
- I have never met a man I could best in nude, hands tied behind your back wrestling.
- I have an irrational fear of fractions
- I think white out is racist
- My glass is half full. Then shits starts to evaporate and I get pessimistic.
- I can’t forget.
Sunday, February 8
Irish long-distance runner makes history as the world's first athlete to run seven consecutive marathons on seven continents in less than seven days
GALWAY ultra runner Richard Donovan made history yesterday as the world's first athlete to run seven consecutive marathons on seven continents in less than seven days.
The 42-year-old father of one successfully completed a gruelling endurance race that would test the physical and mental prowess of the world's strongest men.
Aside from running more than the traditional marathon distance of 26.2 miles a day, simply flying around the world in less than a week -- logging up 26,719 air miles -- is a feat that few sane people would dare to consider.