Wednesday, June 4

Run Across USA

Well I have decided to run across the United States...virtually. Every Wednesday I'll try to post an update along with an updated map that plots my virtual trek across the country.

Here is a chronicling of my virtual run across the United States. This run starts in Fort Kent, Maine and ends in Imperial Beach, California. As I complete my marathon training runs, I will translate the mileage on the MapMyRun website and plot my progress across the United States. I did a quick google map of the planned route and it looks to be close to 3500 miles. However I do not expect to follow the exact route Google laid out for me and will decide as I run.

My current pace is approximately 30 miles a week and that should put me completing this in over 2 years. I do see this number increasing as I switch my training plan for my September marathon to one that requires more mileage. Either way this appears to be a massive undertaking. Fortunately there is a group on the MapMyRun website that has others doing the same.

One last idea that I will try to accomplish is to do a small write up on some of the places that I will “visit”. We shall see how long that lasts though.






Day 1 – 8 Mile Tempo Run

Fort Kent

Total Mileage: 8 miles

My first run started out on the New Brunswick/Maine border in a small town called Fort Kent. Fort Kent is located in Aroostook County and the home to the Fort Kent Blockhouse built during the Aroostook War. Many of the people there speak French due to it’s proximity to the Canadian towns of Clair and Saint-François-de-Madawaska. My 8 miles took me just south ending in Soldier Pond.

Day 2 – 20 Mile Long Run

Wallagrass – Eagle Lake

Total Mileage: 28 miles

My 20 mile run took me through the tiny town of Wallagrass and on through Eagle Lake. The town of Eagle Lake, established in 1911, is located in northern Aroostook County running north/south along U.S. Route 11. It is characterized by ruggedly sloping terrain dissected by brooks and streams as they flow into the pristine Fish River and the expansive Eagle Lake.


Day 3 – 4 Mile Recovery Run

Maine Countryside

Total Mileage: 32 miles

My 4 mile recovery run took me through the countryside of Northern Maine. I still am in the heart of Aroostook County which is the largest county this side of the Mississippi. Most of the residents here simply refer to it at “the County”. Due to the heavy influence of French culture most of the population of 73,938 is bilingual and employment is hard to find if one does not speak both languages.

Day 4 – 6 Mile Track Run

BuffaloPortage

Total Mileage: 38 miles

Day 4’s 6 mile track workout took me past Portage Lake and to the town of Portage. This town was settled in 1844 by lumbermen from Canada and later incorporated in 1909. Portage Lake looks like a nice place to spend a week of vacation with many outdoor activities to keep busy.


Day 5 – 5 Mile Tempo Run

South of Portage

Total Mileage: 43 miles

My 5 mile tempo run on Day 5 took me mainly through the Maine countryside south of Portage. My elevation chart is showing that Maine is a bit hillier than what I was expecting. There is nothing much more to note as I approach Ashland which is the next sizeable town.

Day 6 – 13 Mile Long Run

Ashland

Total Mileage: 56 miles

I crossed the 50 mile mark with my 13 mile run through Ashland. Ashland appears to be similar to many of the other small towns I have come across. The main industry around here is logging which is understandable 88% of Aroostook County’s 3.8 million acres is forest land.


Day 7 – 5 Mile Track Run

Masardis

Total Mileage: 61 miles

Day 7’s run took my through another small town called Masardis. The community name derives from Abnaki term for "place of white clay". The Abnaki are a tribe of Native American and First Nations people belonging to the Algonquian peoples of northeastern North America.

No comments: